Resident Evil 2 boasts the following features:
- Zap System – Intricate sub-plots weave together to create multiple game play scenarios. Players complete the game once, play it again as the other character and ultimately experience a different game from the first.
- Rookie Mode – Designed for novice players, this mode starts the player off with the three most powerful weapons in the game (rocket launcher, submachine gun and gattling gun) and unlimited ammunition.
- Damage indicators – As characters take on more and more damage it becomes increasingly difficult to escape from zombies. Players will see their character limp, stumble, and cringe from wounds and injuries.
- Hidden Characters – Play as Tofu and 4th Survivor in bonus mini games that can be accessed if the player completes and meets specific requirements.
- Hidden extreme battle mode – Offers three selectable levels with random enemy and item placement and four playable characters.
- Heightened interaction with game environments, mutant beasts, an arsenal of new weapons, and more mind-boggling puzzles.