A comprehensive work covering the about 100,000 species of Coleoptera known to occur in the Palaearctic Region. The complete work is planned for 8 volumes that will be published in intervals of about 18 months. The information provided for each species will be the following:
* Primary taxonomic information of all available names in the genus and species levels published by the end of 1999.
* The taxonomic information below subfamily will be organized alphabetically.
* The type species of genera and subgenera, incl. synonyms, are given.
* The area covered also includes the Arabian Peninsula, Himalayas and China.
* The distributional data of species and subspecies is given per country.
* Detailed distributional information for strict endemics is given.
* Introduced species are indicated.
The catalogue is a collective work of about one hundred coleopterists from Europe, Japan, America and Australia.
A revised edition of this work will be published in November 2017.
I. Loebl, Ph.D. (1937), Curator emeritus, Museum d'histoire naturelle, Geneva, Switzerland. He has published monographs and over 300 entomological papers, and was co-editor of the previous volumes of the Catalogue of Palaearctic Coleoptera (see Brill, 2013 and 2015).
D. Loebl, M.Sc. (1969), operates a consulting company in Geneva, Switzerland. He is interested in databases and has collaborated on the volumes 3 to 8 of the first edition of the Catalogue of Palaearctic Coleoptera, and was co-editor of the volumes 2 and 3 of its new edition.