Excerpt from The Liturgy and the Offices of Worship and Hymns of the American Province of the Unitas Fratrum, or the Moravian Church The Unitas F ratrum was the first among Protestant Churches to publish a Hymn-book. It appeared in the Bohemian language, at Jungbunzlau, in Bohemia, in the year 1505, and contained versions of old Latin hymns, together with many original compositions, mostly by John Hus and Bishop Luke of Prague. The latter was its editor.* In 1531 it was followed by a German, and in 1554 by a Polish, Hymn-book. All these Collections were subsequently revised and enlarged, the Bohemian in 1561, the German in 1566, and the Polish in 1569. In this new form, they remained in use until the overthrow of the Ancient Unitas Fratrum, about the middle of the seventeenth century. The tunes, printed in full at the head of each hymn, were partly Gregorian, partly borrowed from Germany, and partly original. Many of the original ones consisted of popular melodies adapted to the uses of sanctuary. The hymns of the Brethren were a power in the Church and the land. They gave life to public worship; they were familiarly sung in the homes of nobles and of peasants; they set forth the pure Gospel in strains that captivated thousands of hearts in the Roman Catholic Church and brought them to a knowledge of free grace in Christ Jesus. But few Copies of the old Hymn-book remain. Most of them were destroyed in the Bohemian Anti-reformation. A modern selection, however, in the German language, with the tunes prefixed, was published at Nuremberg in 1875. The Renewed Unitas Fratrum inherited the hymnological tendency of its fathers. Soon after its resuscitation at Herrnhut, in Saxony, in 1722, several Col lections of Hymns were published by Count Zinzendorf, many of them being his own productions. These, however, do not rank as Hymn-books of the Church. The first work hearing this character and title appeared in 1735. It was frequently reprinted, and was followed by twelve appendixes, containing the outgrowth of that period of sentimental fanaticism which, for a few years, disfigured the history of the Renewed Church of the Brethren. Hence, these appendixes were gradually suppressed. An entirely new Hymn-book, moreover, was issued in London in two Parts, the first in 1753, and the second in 1755. This work, generally known as the London Hymn-book, contained more than three thousand hymns. An abridged edition appeared simultaneously with the original, and was commonly used in public worship. In 1778 a new Collection came out, under the supervision of Chris tian Gregor, a distinguished hymnologist of the Church. This Hymn-book is still in use. An abridgment of it appeared in the United States in 1848, and another in Germany in 1869. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.