Master the art of fast, effective Java development with the power of concurrent and parallel programming
About This Book
* Get detailed coverage of important recipes on multi-threading and parallel programming
* This book takes a close look at the Java 9 APIs and their impact on concurrency
* See practical examples on thread safety, high-performance classes, safe sharing, and a whole lot more
Who This Book Is For
The book is for Java developers and programmers at an intermediate to advanced level. It will be especially useful for developers who want to take advantage of task-based recipes using Java 9's concurrent API to program thread-safe solutions.
What You Will Learn
* Find out to manage the basic components of the Java Concurrency API
* Use synchronization mechanisms to avoid data race conditions and other problems of concurrent applications
* Separate the thread management from the rest of the application with the Executor framework
* Solve problems using a parallelized version of the divide and conquer paradigm with the Fork / Join framework
* Process massive data sets in an optimized way using streams and reactive streams
* See which data structures we can use in concurrent applications and how to use them
* Practice efficient techniques to test concurrent applications
* Get to know tips and tricks to design concurrent applications
Writing concurrent and parallel programming applications is an integral skill for any Java programmer. Java 9 comes with a host of fantastic features, including significant performance improvements and new APIs.
This book will take you through all the new APIs, showing you how to build parallel and multi-threaded applications. The book covers all the elements of the Java Concurrency API, with essential recipes that will help you take advantage of the exciting new capabilities.
You will learn how to use parallel and reactive streams to process massive data sets. Next, you will move on to create streams and use all their intermediate and terminal operations to process big collections of data in a parallel and functional way.
Further, you'll discover a whole range of recipes for almost everything, such as thread management, synchronization, executors, parallel and reactive streams, and many more. At the end of the book, you will learn how to obtain information about the status of some of the most useful components of the Java Concurrency API and how to test concurrent applications using different tools.
Style and approach
This recipe-based book will allow you to explore the exciting capabilities of concurrency in Java. After reading this book, you will be able to comfortably build parallel applications in Java 9.
Javier Fernandez Gonzalez is a software architect with almost 15 years of experience in Java technologies. He has worked as a teacher, researcher, programmer, analyst, and writer, and he now works as an architect in all types of projects related to Java, especially J2EE. As a teacher, has taken over 1,000 hours of training in basic Java, J2EE, and the Struts framework. As a researcher, he has worked in the field of information retrieval, developing applications for processing large amounts of data in Java, and has participated as a coauthor in several journal articles and conference presentations. Recently, he worked on developing J2EE web applications for various clients from different sectors (public administration, insurance, healthcare, transportation, and so on). Currently, he works as a software architect. He is the author of the book, Java 7 Concurrency Cookbook and Mastering Concurrency Programming with Java 8 by Packt.