Through her bestselling books, groundbreaking PBS specials, and up-to-the-minute clinical knowledge, Dr. Christiane Northrup has earned a place as one of America's most trusted medical advisors.
In The Wisdom of Menopause, she once again challenges convention with this inspiring look at one of the most commonly misunderstood female health issues. The "change" is not simply a collection of physical symptoms to be "fixed," Dr. Northrup claims, but a mind/body revolution that brings the greatest opportunity for growth since adolescence. The choices a woman makes now-from the quality of her relationships to the quality of her diet-have the power to secure her health and well-being for the rest of her life. Through her personal story and many fascinating case histories, Dr. Northrup shows:
- How menopause jump-starts changes in the brain, issuing a dramatic wake-up call to body, mind, and emotions
- How to ensure the long-term health of breasts, bones, and heart
- How the body adjusts naturally to changing hormones
- Why bestselling drugs like Premarin may not be the best choice
- How to deal with metabolism shifts, weight gain, sexual problems, and appearance issues
- How to negotiate the challenges of "the empty nest" and midlife marriage
And much more.
In a book destined to be a classic, Dr. Northrup shows women how they can make menopause a time of personal empowerment and positive energy-emerging wiser, healthier, and stronger in both mind and body than ever before. "From the Trade Paperback edition."
Christiane Northrup, M.D., trained at Dartmouth Medical School and Tufts New England Medical Center before cofounding the Women to Women health care center in Yarmouth, Maine, which became a model for women's clinics nationwide. Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology, she is past president of the American Holistic Medical Association and an internationally recognized authority on women's health and healing.