The story of what happens when one little fish tells a great white lie…
Shark Tale is an animated comedy that relocates all of the familiar elements of the Mafia movie from the mean streets to the deep blue sea. In other words, the underworld goes underwater. Almost as a seal of approval that clinches this as a genuine mobster movie, the voice cast includes Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese.
It’s about a very fishy tale that starts to backfire on its teller. Oscar (Will Smith) is a fast talking little fish with big ideas of going places, but Oscar always seems to be in trouble. So, when he’s at the scene when a great white shark, Frankie (Michael Imperioli) is rubbed out by a falling anchor, Oscar takes the credit and becomes a hero for ridding the sea of one more member of the marine Mafia.
The trouble is, Frankie was the son of big time hoodlum, Lino (De Niro) and taking on the mob can drop you in much deeper water than Oscar’s used to.
The voice cast also includes Jack Black as Lino’s other son, Lenny - a vegetarian shark who’s a disappointment to his dad - and Renee Zellweger and Angelina Jolie as Angie and Lola the two very different female fish who hook Oscar.
* CLUB OSCAR: This must-sea exclusive-to-the-DVD segment brings viewers behind the seaweed ropes of the hottest club under the sea…“Club Oscar.” Created by the DreamWorks animation team and featuring the star-studded Shark Tale voice talent “gettin’ fishy with it,” this hilarious animated sequence stars all of the Shark Tale characters showcasing their best dance moves.
* CLUB OSCAR: GET YOUR GROOVE ON: Once the dancing is done, home viewers are invited to shake their tail fins along with their favorite characters under the sea with a special learn to dance sequence by the film’s famed choreographer Nadine “Hi-Hat” Colquhon.
* GIGI THE WHALE: A fully animated, tongue-in-cheek clip featuring audition footage of Gigi The Whale (voiced by Vincent Pastore) reading for a role in Shark Tale.
* DIRECTOR’S COMMENTARY: How do you “fishify” Will Smith? What does it take to create Time Square at the bottom of the ocean? Get the answer to these and other questions swirling around the sea in a delightful director’s commentary by Vicky Jenson, Bibo Bergeron and Rob Letterman that provides insider information on the making of this fun-filled animation hit.
* ROUGH WATERS: A hilarious look at what happened when the animation process did not go according to plan during the movie’s production.
* A FISHIFIED WORLD: A behind-the-scenes look at the making of this laugh-packed adventure including interviews with the animation and character design team who transformed a natural looking coral reef into an urban city beneath the sea.
* THE MUSIC OF SHARK TALE: This featurette offers viewers an inside look at Shark Tale’s hip, hit soundtrack featuring songs from artists as Christina Aguilera, Missy Elliott, Mary J. Blige, Will Smith, Justin Timberlake and Timbaland, Ziggy Marley, Sean Paul, JoJo, D12, Ludacris, India.Arie, and others.
* STAR FISH: Highlighting the extraordinary star-studded cast, this program features interviews with the film talent including Will Smith, Robert DeNiro, Reneé Zellwegger, Angelina Jolie, Jack Black, Martin Scorsese, among others.
* A TOUR YOU CAN’T REEF-USE: An in-depth look at the extensive world created for Shark Tale. Built as an interactive map, this series of featurettes showcases the layout drawings, blueprints, and architectural elements researched by the filmmakers. In addition, this program takes viewers through the various stages of animation from storyboards, to animation tests, to actual scenes from the movie.
* DREAMWORKS KIDS (DWK): This virtual playground offers a variety of programming and creative activities just for kids. Highlights include: Rock The Reef, Jukebox Scene Index, “Car Wash” Music Video, Fin-Filled Scenes, Must-Sea Games, DVD-ROM Activities