This analysis of primary documents allows readers to understand Shakespeare's tragedies within the context of historical issues of Renaissance England.
* Provides primary source documents for close reading of four of Shakespeare's most popular tragedies
* Helps readers to relate primary source documents to Shakespeare's plays using narrative material
* Offers an introductory essay as an overview of the social and historical context of the plays
* Suggestions for further reading direct users to sources of additional information
* Presents a chronology that summarizes relevant historical events
Douglas J. King is associate professor of English at Gannon University, where he teaches courses on Shakespeare, drama, and literature and film.