The story of Old Dominion University began during one of the most uncertain times in American history. In 1930, as the country sank deeper into the Great Depression, the College of William and Mary opened a two-year extension school in nearby Norfolk, Virginia, to provide affordable, quality education to the community. Embracing its founding spirit of innovation, the school rapidly evolved into an independent, four-year college and adopted Virginia's nickname "Old Dominion." As the country transformed during the 1960s, so did the college, and by 1969, it had progressed into a dynamic public university. Now with over 250 academic programs, nine colleges, and approximately 25,000 students representing over 100 countries, Old Dominion University continues to pride itself on forward-thinking research, inclusiveness, and strategic partnerships.
Steven Bookman is the university archivist at Old Dominion University Libraries and holds a master's degree in library science from the University of Maryland. Jessica Ritchie is the head of Special Collections and University Archives at Old Dominion University Libraries and holds a master's degree in library and information science from Florida State University. John R. Broderick has served the university for over 20 years, most recently as its president since 2008.