The colourful modern design of this all-in-one windowsill kit is sure to make this the gift that will impress.
There is nothing better than picking fresh herbs from your windowsill garden. Herbs grow well indoors and with only a little time, water and sunlight you can enjoy herbs all year round. This Kitchen Herbs windowsill kit has everything you need to get started including 3 of the most popular growing herbs in Australia – basil, chives & parsley.
How To Grow
- To provide some drainage, place pebbles into the bottom of the windowsill tin before covering with soil.
- Put the Jiffy® soil pellets into a large bowl and add about 600ml of lukewarm water.
- After 10 minutes you will have enough soil to fill your windowsill tin.
- Loosen the soil with a table fork and put your new soil into the pot.
- Leave about 10% of the soil in the bowl to use later.
- Divide soil into three sections and sprinkle a few seeds of one variety per section.
- Lightly cover the seeds with 5mm of the soil you have left in the bowl and gently firm.
- Water lightly and place in a warm well lit spot in your home.
- To maintain the humidity cover the windowsill pot with cling film.
- Water regularly just enough to keep moist.
- Remove the cling film when the first shoots appear.
- You should see the first sign of seedlings after 10 days, germination of parsley is slower, 21–28 days.
- When the plants are 5cm tall, thin to leave only the 3 strongest plants (6–8 plants for Chives). * This allows the herbs to have plenty of space to develop.
- The surplus plants can be planted into another pot or direct into the garden from mid Spring.
- Feed with half strength liquid fertiliser every 10–14 days to promote healthy growth.
- Your fresh herbs will be ready to harvest in 8–12 weeks.
- Enjoy freshly picked herbs 3 or 4 times a week to encourage new growth and a bushy plant.
- Chives do not retain their onion flavour when dried so that’s even more reason to grow indoors and have them readily available for cooking.
- Basil is best used fresh. It does not dry well however does freeze successfully.
- Parsley dries and freezes well but is best picked fresh and used straight away!
- Each kit comes with a coloured metal pot with drainage holes and drip tray, seeds, soil pellet and plant tags with chalk board.
- Dimensions (mm): 275L x 110W x 95H
- Tin made of galvanised steel with zinc coating.