Many children experience difficulties which impact on their learning at home and school. Some children are considered to have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, but other children display a range of indicators which cross the boundaries of specific named 'conditions'. If teachers are to offer appropriate support, the authors of this highly practical book argue that they must look beyond the label to assess the whole child.
This is an informative book which:
* encourages teachers to consider children as individuals rather than attempting to match them to existing sets of indicators
* pinpoints the overlap of indicators within different specific learning difficulties
* considers the process of assessment
* explains the implications of the children's difficulties
* offers tried-and-tested strategies to promote inclusive learning.
Teachers, teaching assistants, Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators and students undertaking teacher education courses will all find this a refreshingly accessible book.
Dr Christine MacIntyre is a lecturer at the School of Education, University of Edinburgh.
Dr Pamela Doponio is also a lecturer in Special Needs at the University of Edinburgh.