Established in 1915 by the merger of three existing companies, Southdown grew to become one of the greatest names in road passenger transport. Expanding through the acquisition of smaller operators and by the development of new routes, the company became part of the BAT-Tilling group in 1928 and in 1942 a subsidiary of British Electric Traction. As part of BET it was to become a major constituent of the National Bus Company in the late 1960s. For enthusiasts, part of the fascination of Southdown was for its variety of buses and coaches, including the famous 'Queen Mary' double-deckers built between 1958 and 1967. These Leyland PD3s were fitted with highly distinctive full-fronted bodywork, making them instantly recognisable as they plied their trade along the south coast. In 2001 John Bishop and Glyn Kraemer-Johnson co-operated in the production of Glory Days: Southdown which was an instant success and was soon reprinted, making it one of the most successful of the 'Glory Days' series and demonstrating the fact that, despite the fact that Southdown is no more, its name lives on in the memory of both enthusiasts and locals.
Such was the wealth of colour material unearthed by the authors during their researches for the first book that it has proved possible to produce this new volume, providing the reader with over 80 colour photographs of Southdown buses and coaches during the period from the late 1950s onwards.