Being an RPG fan, I was excited to try this one out after doing extensive research on it. So here are my thoughts on it:
- No monthly fee!
- Excellent graphics
- Less focused on level-grinding (more story-driven)
- Ability to choose from various views, from overhead to first person, depending on whether you're a Diablo or Everquest gamer
- Many customizations available for you to personalize your character (a must for any really good RPG)
- Zones outside of the towns are not shared with other players, meaning that you don't end up fighting over spawns
- You can choose to group with NPC mercenaries so you don't spend endless hours looking for a group just so you can start playing
- May be difficult to grasp the basics without someone in-game helping you (I didn't find the manual informative and online help seemed to speak in Guild Wars jargon which you wouldn't know to begin with.)
- Not as much opportunity to interact with other players with individually-generated zones and less need for groups
- With a level cap at 20, you're looking at more of a PvP experience, rather than Player vs Environment.
MY FINAL THOUGHTS: I was a bit disappointed as unfortunately, the two things that I love in MMORPGs were greatly reduced (PvE and player interaction). Having said that, I can see how this would be an excellent game for those who aren't looking for those 2 elements. With its beautiful graphics and no monthly fee, Guild Wars is still an excellent game.