Although the first services around Aldershot date back to the early 20th century, it was not until 1912 that Aldershot & District formally came into existence with the involvement of the British Automobile Traction Co Ltd with the earlier Aldershot & Farnborough Motor Omnibus Co Ltd. From these small beginnings, Aldershot & District expanded rapidly, acquiring some routes before the start of World War 1 from the London & South Western Railway. Post-1919 the company continued to grow, aided by the 1930 Road Traffic Act, which introduced formal licensing of services. By this date the company's fleet had expanded to some 236 vehicles, all of them manufactured by the local firm of Dennis - a company that was to have close links with A&D throughout its existence. The company, which became a subsidiary of British Electric Traction, passed into the hands of the National Bus Company following Nationalisation and was to be merged with local rival Thames Valley to form a new company called Alder Valley. However, the traditions of the old 'Tracco' - as A&D was affectionately known - are still alive courtesy of the large numbers of ex-A&D vehicles that survive in preservation.
One of the country's leading single operator societies is the Aldershot & District Bus Interest Group, and the group's membership has co-operated in the production of this new 'Glory Days' book. It provides a history of the company from the earliest days, through to its ultimate disappearance with the corporate structure of the NBC. Among topics covered in depth are the company's close relationship with Dennis and its involvement with the military in and around Aldershot. The comprehensive text is supplement by a variety of colour and black and white photographs showing the range of vehicles and services provided by the company in the period up to its final demise.