Developed by the Japan based NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC comes a turn based RPG that has achieved meteoric success in Japan and the U.S.
The unique mechanics of the game and the effort put into the details set the standard for RPGs to come. Lining up with Tactics Oger and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, DISGAEA The Hour of Darkness is another crown of the genre.
After two years of sleep, you wake as Laharl, crown prince of the Netherworld, demon and spoilt brat. On your awakening you hear of your father's death in the time that you have been grabbing some zzzz'z and that Netherworld is in need of a new overlord.
Laharl presumes that he is the chosen one and aided by his not so trusty vassal Etna, he sets of to take control of the land.
A rich and comprehensive tutorial effectively shortens the learning curve, after having grasped the basics of the game, exploring the game will provide plenty of fun and excitement. Follow Laharl and Etna on their quest while chuckling at their demonic comments.
The game story is broken down into chapters, each containing a set of battle stages. Between those stages you are free to return to your castle to heal your party, strengthen items, trade, create new characters. Clearing stages and earning bonuses provides the experience to grow items and characters and to unlock new worlds and character classes. Combat is fought from an isometric perspective, on a 3D battlefield with 2D characters, the proven standard for turn-based battle.
Leveling up your own character and those characters that you create is where the real strategy begins. The success of DISGAEA The Hour of Darkness is based on the freedom of choice and the unique concept. Combined strength of the party members add to the damage count, crystals project patterns on the map grid influencing friend and foe's abilities alike. Player characters can toss crystals, enemies and allies around to create astonishing and sometimes hilarious effects. The party can venture INTO items and gain control of specialists who increase the item's attributes. The player will also have to strengthen Laharl's position in the measly Dark Assembly a council built up of a dozen senators to grant their permission for various upgrades to skill sets and weaponry. Some senators can be bribed but others will have to be fought, loose this fight and you will loose some of the benefits that you have built up over time.
With multiple endings, a plethora of unlockable characters and a good sense of humour throughout, Disgaea ? The Hour of Darkness contains endless hours of gameplay for every RPG fan.
- A multitude of characters to create and unlock
- Countless levels available when building up your own and your allies' abilities.
- Enormous longevity and replay value through multiple endings and scenarios , well over 40 hours of gameplay.
- Well structured gameplay with a strong emphasis on humour.
- A strong musical score featuring the song "The invasion from within" by Tsunami Bomb!
- Customise your army with over 150 character classes and monsters
- A dynamic battle system; switch your characters in and out of battle to match the strengths of your toughest opponents
- Unleash over 100 mind-blowing spells and special skills to lay waste to your enemies.