Named one of the top ten cookbooks of the year. – Epicurious
THE CONSCIOUS COOK is a breakthrough in vegan cuisine. By teaching readers how to make truly satisfying and delicious meals without the meat and dairy‚ it makes the shift to a vegan lifestyle easy.
A former steak lover himself‚ Chef Tal struggled for years on a vegan diet that left him hungry and filled with cravings for butter and meat. About ten years ago‚ he decided that the best way to satisfy his dietary desires was to make food that was good enough for “foodies” and could gratify his cravings for rich flavor and fat. The solution? Create vegan meals with substantial proteins that could literally change the way people eat. He studied all aspects of non−meat proteins and today is widely regarded as the expert in the field‚ developing new concepts for meals and sauces and helping to improve textures for food companies such as Gardein (the provider of vegetable proteins used by Morningstar Farms‚ It′s All Good‚ Trader Joe′s brands‚ and the prepared food department of Whole Foods‚ to name a few).
THE CONSCIOUS COOK features a center−of−the−plate protein in all of its entrees−a first for vegan cookbooks. Seventy−five original recipes are organized by categories that include starters and small plates‚ soups and salads‚ entrees‚ and desserts. Each recipe is accompanied by stunning full−color photographs.
“Wow, wow, wow! I never imagined meatless meals could be so satisfying.” – Oprah Winfrey, on Oprah.com
“Meeting Tal has changed our lives for the better. We wish everyone could experience his cooking. It’s delicious and healthy at the same time-sometimes that’s a hard balance, but not with Tal.” – Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi
“What’s great about this cookbook is its range and its approach to meatless cooking. No main dish ever feels like a side dish . . . Instead, each meal is made to be complete and satisfying.” – fitsugar.com
“Tal’s recipes are simply fantastic . . . Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, or committed meat eater, this is a book that can help you down the path of higher-quality, good tasting, humane eating.” – Wayne Pacelle, President and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States
Among the eclectic treats and surprises in The Conscious Cook, people of all appetites and motivations will delight in:
- A simple recipe for the magic ingredient that makes it easy to fill raviolis, thicken soups and sauces, top off desserts, and live without dairy: cashew cream.
- Finger foods fit for a cocktail party, a potluck, or a Super Bowl spread, including innovative twists on classics, like Artichoke and Oyster Mushroom Rockefeller.
- Sensational salads pairing great homemade salad dressings, from Champagne Vinaigrette to a Parmesan-free Caesar, with vegetables beyond lettuce.
- Wholesome, rich, creamy, and hearty soups, from Tomato Bisque to Split Pea with Tempeh Bacon and Chipotle Cream.
- Pointers on cooking with top quality premade products, like gardein, a garden grown protein with the texture and taste of chicken, steak, or pork that will fool everybody.
- Vegetarian sandwiches that truly eat like a meal, from a gardein “Steak” with Horseradish Mayonnaise to Cajun Portobello with Avocado and Rémoulade.
- A striking array of really satisfying vegan entrées, from quick and casual to elaborate, including Old Bay Tofu Cakes with Pan-Roasted Summer Vegetables, Artichoke Ricotta Tortellini with Saffron Cream Sauce, Tempeh Creole, gardein™ “Chicken” Scaloppini with Shiitake Sake Sauce, and Paella with “Sausage.”
About the Author
Chef Tal Ronnen is the most celebrated vegan chef working today. In the spring of 2008, he became known nationwide as the chef who prepared vegan meals for Oprah Winfrey's 21-day vegan cleanse. He has since catapulted to fame, catering Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi's vegan wedding, Arianna Huffington's party at the Democratic National Convention, and the first vegan dinner at the U.S. Senate.
Discuss this product
(If you require assistance from Mighty Ape, please contact us.)
Customers who purchased this also purchased...
If you think we've made a mistake or omitted details, please send us your feedback.